5 Ways to Make the Most of National Small Business Week
More than half of Americans either own or work for a small business, and they create about two out of every three new jobs in the U.S. each year. National Small Business week is a time to recognize and celebrate the role small business play in our local community – creating jobs, driving innovation, and increasing Cape Girardeau’s economic reach.
As communities across the country celebrate National Small Business Week, here are 5 ways to make the most of the occasion.
Share Your Journey
During National Small Business Week, some customers commit to shopping exclusively with local businesses. This is a great time to utilize social media, your website, and email marketing to grab the attention of new customers as they look to put dollars back into the community.
- Tell your story - What inspired you to become a small business owner? How many years have you been in business? How has your company changed or grown over the years?
- Affirm what community means to you – What meaningful interactions with customers, fellow business owners, or community organizations have inspired you to keep serving your neighbors?
- Educate consumers on the value of supporting small businesses – Many people don’t realize just how vital small businesses are on a local and national scale. When people understand the value that small businesses bring, they’re more likely to go out and support them, especially during National Small Business Week.
- Show your story – In addition to sharing great written content, be sure to include a visual component! Images and videos of milestone events through the years are a great attention-getter and will help more folks see your content across platforms.
Update Your Listings
With an increased focus on small businesses, you’re likely to experience higher traffic to your business website and social media accounts. Be sure to check your profiles and listings to make sure all of the information is accurate and up to date. This includes your Google Maps listing, Facebook business page, Cape Chamber Member Directory page, Yelp listing, and more.
- How to update Google Maps listing
- How to update Facebook business page
- How to update Cape Chamber Member Directory Page
- How to update Yelp listing
Run Small Business Week Promotions
- Host a Small Business Week celebration event
- Give out branded freebies
- Reward loyalty with discounts or coupons for your most loyal customers
Support Other Small Businesses
During Small Business Week, support other small businesses! Craft up a simple social media post, or use your vocation to help other small businesses during this week—such as by offering to design a graphic for another business, or free haircuts to small business owners, etc. Strengthening your support for small business will strengthen that of your target audience and help with your messaging.
Another community-building approach to Small Business Week is to team up with other small businesses and cross-promote. Offer to put a stack of business cards in your store in exchange for being able to put yours in theirs. Host a joint sale to expand your reach.
Leverage Free Business Tools
There are many free tools available to small business owners. Are you taking advantage?
Meet with a Consultant at the local Small Business Development Center - Sit down one-on-one with an SBDC consultant at no cost. At your first appointment, the consultant will talk with you about your current business status and determine the best course of action within our network.
Maximize your membership with the Cape Chamber – From job postings to Member News announcements, here are plenty of benefits available to all members of the Cape Chamber. Contact us today to learn more about how you can make the most of your membership!