The Chamber’s business retention program will annually interview 150 business leaders from the top five industries by jobs and the top five industry clusters with the most potential for future growth.
Purpose – More than 75% of new jobs are created by existing businesses, thus being significant potential for future job growth.
How does this help accomplish our mission? Taking a more active role in member and business development accomplishes our mission in two different arenas, to lead and serve. First, to be lead advocate for businesses the Chamber must have a better understanding of their goals, needs and barriers to growth. Second, to serve as the primary catalyst for a vibrant economy relates to the very assistance, connections, and resources the Chamber can provide to its members and the business community at large.
How will we measure success?
- At least 50 new jobs created each year for the next three years;
- Existing business calls will be tallied on a quarterly basis and totals annually documented in December of each year;
- An agreed upon set of processes and follow-up procedures will be established by April 1, 2015;
- Business trends, intelligence, and economic indicators for the area will be published and presented to the Chamber’s Board of Directors starting July, 2015 and quarterly thereafter.
Strengthening Retail Position: Expand the area's retail position by July 1, 2016. To be accomplished by:
- Currently a competitive advantage exists with online retailers, thus putting area bricks and mortar retailers at a disadvantage. A Federal e-fairness advocacy effort will be implemented by May 1, 2015;
- Commission and publish a retail market analysis for the Cape Girardeau-Jackson MO-IL MSA, with the support of the Cape Girardeau Area MAGNET by July 1, 2015;
- In cooperation with the owners of West Park Mall and our development partners collectively, endorse a redevelopment strategy for West Park Mall by January 1, 2016;
- Recruit a new big box retailer by July 1, 2016.
Purpose - Cape Girardeau has long enjoyed being the retail hub for the region. However, with the convenience of online shopping and recent fluctuations within the retail sector of the national economy, additional focused efforts on our position is needed.
How does this help accomplish our mission?
- Positive influence of Missouri’s Congressional Delegation on Federal E-fairness legislation;
- Retail market analysis published by July 1, 2015;
- A redevelopment plan established by the ownership of West Park Mall;
- New entry in the market by at least two national retailers;
- Collection of sales tax for Cape Girardeau County reflects 2%+ in annual growth.